Saturday, May 29, 2010

RAIN!

So, Guatemala is currently experiencing tropical storm Agatha and I happen to be in the west somewhere near the west coast where the storm first hit this morning, though it had rained for the two previous days. It's my first tropical storm so today has been quite an adventure. This morning I moved all of the stuff from my room around with my host mom's help to get everything off the floor because water was coming in from the window. The walls are also wet because the house wasn't constructed properly, so my room is incredibly damp and cold. At least the water stopped coming in the window for the most part because we put nylon up outside. We also spent quite a while dragging up a lot of stuff from my family's store to the house above so that it wouldn't get ruined if/when the water starts to flood the bottom level. Some parts of the muni and nearby Xela have already flooded and people are trying to move things to higher ground. Meanwhile the river is growing rapidly and the muni was using bulldozers to push dirt along the lower sides of the river, so we'll se how that goes. Now the power is a little sketchy, but my partner's internet is working pretty well. Anyway, I don't want to waste more time so I'll update when the power is more stable and I can brave the weather to make it to the internet cafe. Take care!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for updating and letting us know you are surviving the storms! Stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete