Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Christmas Eve Day!

It's been a while. I know. I guess I got caught up in vacation time and despite not having anything super concrete to do, I found myself just as busy as ever with new activities.

I promise to write a nice long blog post on recent developments here in Guatemala and in my own life. Lots of exciting things, both good and bad, have been going on. Hopefully this will keep you reading my blog despite a long time since my last post.

The reason I don't have time this morning to sit down and write for a while is because I can hear some movement through the house. This means that my host mom is up and making paches. Paches are giant tamales that Guatemalans eat on Christmas Eve (and other special events) and it happens to be my favorite food here in Guatemala. I am going to go down and help her out. But here is an article I found on NPR about this food I have come to love: Pride and Prejudice: For Latinos tamales offer up a delicious serving of both. I personally love all versions of tamales (minus the sweet corn ones I've had once) that I eat pretty regularly here. My favorites would be paches and tamales con chipilin (a type of greens), or even chuchos, which are tamales with a piece of beef in sauce in the middle. Every tamale is like unwrapping a gift, which may be a big reason of why I love them.

Anyway, just wanted to share a little bit of what I will be doing for Christmas-helping make and then eating these delicious tamales. I'll be back later with more updates and maybe some photos.


No comments:

Post a Comment