Thursday, May 19, 2011

Don't Make it Bad

Today wasn't a particularly bad day. I don't know why I got so frustrated when the Internet wasn't working well enough to simply upload a document to an email I needed to send. But I was pretty frustrated. So I slammed my computer shut, threw my USB into my bag, jammed my feet into my shoes and headed out the door and down the hill to the internet cafe. I got there and did what I had to do and was looking forward to viewing the newest movie trailers (I take my entertainment pretty much anywhere I can get it--that's what happens when you have no tv or fully functional internet or access to a well-stocked library). But Apple trailers, my site of choice, was of course not functioning. So I got more frustrated and left.

That's when my day turned around completely. I love how often this happens here in Guatemala. I was walking down this gross dirt and rock road outside of my preferred internet cafe and saw ahead of me one of the students I work with, one who stands out to me. She was walking with her grandmother. I had my eyes focused downwards to make sure I wouldn't twist my ankle on a rogue rock or step in some dog poop and could see her moving along in tune with me in order to intercept me when I got close. I was greeted by both her and her grandmother with an emphatic "Seño Cristina" and a genuine "Cómo está?" They even listened to my response and inquired further despite my automaton answer of "Bien" or well (what everyone says, even if you're like my overworked, terminally tired host mom who has spent two out of the past three weeks in the hospital with my now diabetically challenged host brother and despite all of these hardships says she is well). She asked if I really was well and asked to make sure I hadn't been sick lately. I replied that I was always healthy and happy to be here in Guatemala, all this taking place while holding and swinging hands with the girl. They asked where I was going and when I said to do some errands, she told me that next time I was going "arriba" (up), they would show me their house, by the school. Since I work in 15 schools in the town I didn't quite know which school they were talking about, since many of them are "up." I always feel really bad because I don't know these people as personally as I would like. It's just difficult to know anyone very well apart from my neighbors when I barely manage to visit these schools one every two weeks, if that. Anyway, they gave me some hints and I figured it out and told them I hoped I would see them again on my way to school. She also told me how she was on her way up with a basket full of bread to sell to people who didn't want to come down to the center to buy bread (and hiking up that hill, even without anything to carry, is a pain). She had to get going because it was starting to get late, so we said some "Feliz tardes" and some "que le vaya biens" and I threw in one last "Cuídense" and we went our separate ways.

Now I'm in my house, listening to some Ella Fitzgerald, eating some of my favorite cheap cookies, thinking that I'm a fool to get frustrated over stupid little things when there are much worse situations to be in. I tend to judge life here like I would in the States with the same standards, when the reality is that life here is not the same. Efficiency isn't the same, timeliness isn't the same, my view of success can't be measured in the same way. I know I'll continue to struggle with these things, but hopefully I can remember that people see life so positively despite the difficulties they face everyday. Simple kindness makes me appreciate life here so much more and really motivates me to keep up with my work and do what I can to make life here a little better.

Then on my way home I saw this man walking with his daughter. I used to see him all the time and haven't seen him lately, probably because my schedule has been a little crazy. Anyway, he has some sort of vision problem (I think) and always says a few "Que Dios le bendigas (God bless)" after we chat. He is also almost always walking with his young daughter (probably a first grader) and has a box about the size of a shoe box tied up with string. I love imagining what he has in his box. Maybe one of these days I'll find out, but I kind of like having a little mystery in my life. His kindness (and mystery) also makes my life a little better.

So that's been my day. If something is frustrating you, at least your life is better than someone else's. That's what I'll try to keep reminding myself. At least it's easier here with so much poverty and hardship just out there in the open.

Cuídense y que Dios les bendiga!

No comments:

Post a Comment