Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A little cambio

So I decided to change things up a bit. My blog's been kind of boring for a while and in need of a makeover. Since Yuna kindly left me her Tigo stick (modem), I've been using the internet in lieu of my daily reading (and other activities) and the design tab on my blog just seemed like the right thing to click on today. I spent a while searching through all of these attractive backgrounds and settings to get things to be just right. Or at least they're just right for now. I'll probably get bored with it in a week or so. Also look for more frequent updates-once I have internet for good (hopefully soon), I hope to update as kind of a catharsis. Things are always happening here in Guatemala and I need somewhere to store thoughts to reflect on once I'm out of Guate/Peace Corps.

Anyway, the picture is one I took last week while visiting a school. One of my favorite parts of the day is spending recess time with the kids, which sometimes I can't do if I'm meeting with teachers. Lucky for me the teachers at this school were meeting about feria stuff and I wasn't included in this, so I went with some of the girls to watch the school's small marching band prepare a musical number to play over and over again when marching in the parade in June. We soon got bored of watching the band essentially march a few steps and then argue over who was doing what wrong, so we just headed down the road and talked. I had my camera so the girls asked me to take pictures, so I took some posed shots and then candid shots and the picture above is one of the results. Trying to put bunny ears on someone in photos is not foreign here, so the girls were attempting it with both hands until choking the victim became necessary and morphed from bunny ears into one moose antler (or something like that). I love how much joy there is in the girls' faces-we really were having lots of fun.

I'm also finding blogs to read just to stay informed of the important stuff going on in the world, as well as some not so important stuff, like this blog article on Facebook courtship and how it mirrors courtship rituals from years ago: Jezebel: Facebook's Antique Courtship Rituals. Just something interesting to ponder for a second or two, and then move on with your life. Also, getting ready to fly again (16 days!) made me appreciate this: The Oatmeal: Airplane. And, from Information is Beautiful, OECD Better Life Initiative Index, a really pretty way of finding out where in the world life is better in different areas like safety, health and education. And talking about blogs, anyone have anything good to recommend? I'm interested in pretty much everything (minus technical stuff I wouldn't understand).

Also hoping to upload more pictures, will start with any new photos I take. That's all for now. I need to make some posters for my school visit tomorrow. I guess I will leave you with one photo of a poster I made for a school visit from last week:

Not the best picture, but just illustrating a really great teacher comment from last week. The question was: What does one do with trash? The answer: Gift it to your neighbor. I really love making posters, especially when it provokes good discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment