Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Celebrating the Little Things

In the midst of all of the mess that is happening with Peace Corps Guatemala, I have decided to focus on something positive today. Maybe tomorrow I will write more about the meeting all of PC Guatemala (almost all volunteers and staff) had today.

Since my time here is rapidly waning, I have decided to celebrate the little things, a few of which I enjoyed today.

1) Mangoes!! It is mango season again and while my favorite smoothie-worthy mango aren't ready yet, the smaller and messier ones are and they are quite delicious. And for the price of 25 cents each (which is actually a little pricey here, I think), they are much more affordable here than back in the States. My current plan is to eat one a day, which I have succeeded in doing for two days now.

2) Avocado!! Yet another food item that is so much cheaper here, which I why I am planning on eating a lot of aguacates in the next month. It is delicious with rice, Tortrix, tortillas, bread, etc. And at the price of 3 avocados for a little over 50 cents, another really great deal I won't be able to find in the States.

3) Hugs!! I began saying my good-byes today. This month will be full of last visits to schools, which will likely consist of visiting individual classrooms and saying good-bye to all of the kids and teachers. At the end we invite the kids to come up and give us lots of hugs, which they usually do (and sometimes they just sit at their desks and look at us like they have no idea what we are saying). I just can't wrap my mind around the fact tht these schools will no longer be 'my' schools and that I will no longer need to know that Seño Amarilis loves showing off her rincon de salud or that Profe Santos works with the little kids. All this info I have in my head about my schools which will no longer be useful. But I love the hugs that come with the good-bye. And someday, hopefully, I will be able to come back and see the kids again.

A month from today I plan on boarding a plane and heading back to the States. That doesn't leave me much time, but I plan on doing as much as I can with the five weeks left to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment