Sunday, February 24, 2008

Back in Kampala

As I sit here and listen to Waterfalls by TLC in a fast (for the moment) internet cafe, I am struck by how far American "culture" has spread. Our music and movies are everywhere. This morning, my host sister asked me to buy "John Tucker Must Die" and "Juwanna Man" for us to watch tonight. There are signs for Coke everywhere, even in small rural villages. And everywhere we go, people assume that as white people we have lots of money, which we do in comparison, and that we don't like to walk anywhere and would prefer to take a taxi. Now Stan by Eminem (featuring Dido) has started. I haven't heard most of the music I'm hearing here for several years now so it's kind of nostalgic and not at all unpleasant, just weird.

We had a great expedition recently to eastern Uganda and Rwanda. In Queen Elizabeth National Park in the east I got to see elephants (my favorite animal-they were amazing!) which has probably been one of the highlights of hte trip thus far. I will update about this after I have finished writing a draft on my laptop. It's a lot easier doing it that way than sitting in a cafe for an hour hoping that when I'm done it will save. So I continue to be alive and well.

P.S. Cry Me a River by Justin Timberlake has just started. It's so random. Wait, the guy just changed the channel and now we're watching a program about American soldiers in Baghdad. Crazy. No wait. He changed it again. Now we're watching "The Country Bears," that one Disney movie I never had a vague interest in seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment