Thursday, July 7, 2011

Dry clothes make me happy

It was such a beautiful day! I woke up to a foggy morning and rode the bus up through the clouds. The school I went to today (one of my favorites) is up in the mountains so we were higher than the clouds and views were beautiful. (Unfortunately I didn't have my camera so I won't be able to share this image). The walk to school was pleasant-the temperature was a little cool and the path a little muddy, but I chatted the whole way with a teacher and she showed me yet another path to the school (besides to two very muddy paths I already know) that kept my shoes and pants free of mud. I had a fun and productive visit, which included revising hygiene, meeting with teachers to plan a project of building latrines, and chatting with the principal about fruit, gardening, the economy, immigration, etc. (not to mention singing and playing with the kids). This is one of the schools where I do have to walk uphill both ways to get there, so I headed back up and down the hill again, enjoying the clear blue sky. For once the sky wasn't full of ominous clouds and it wasn't freezing. I headed home on probably the most secure bus I've ever been on-there were two police officers on it heading down into the city. I made it home without any raindrops falling onto my papers or my feet sloshing through puddles of mud. But, best of all, my evening spent washing clothes on my roof during a thunderstorm paid off (despite having my neighbors think I'm crazy) and my clothes finally spent a good uninterrupted eight hours out in the sun and, for the most part, dried. Just a few sweaters and shirts that are a little damp. But yay for having clean, mold-free clothes! The sky started to look a little dark half an hour ago so I rushed up the hill to my house to take down my (mostly) dry clothes and five minutes later, downpour. At least the nice weather lasted well into the afternoon. I am so thankful that my clothes dried-it's hard to gauge when it's going to be a cold, rainy day and when not, so washing clothes means taking the risk that your clothes won't dry for days and will start to get smelly and moldy.

That was my day (up until now). I hope yours was as pleasant and full of sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment