Monday, July 11, 2011

La violencia

Oh Guatemala. Why can't you be in the news for something positive?

I've had more than a few comments from friends and family about the recent death by shooting of a folk singer from Argentina in Guatemala City. There's a link to an article from CNN over on the left side (as of when I am writing this) if you want to read more about this.

Guatemala is a violent country. I've been talking with friends and colleagues here about the recent upswing in violence and everyone is concerned. As this recent shooting shows, no one is safe, even if you have a van of bodyguards travelling behind you.

I guess the purpose of this post is to assure everyone that I am safe. Luckily, I live in a part of the country that hasn't seen too much violence. I do what I can to keep myself safe, from being in my house by the time the sun goes down to only travelling when necessary. So don't worry about me. Peace Corps will get us out of here if things get really bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment