Saturday, July 30, 2011

Uganda in the news

It's been three years since I was in Uganda, but it's always on my mind. Every once in a while I walk around here in Guatemala and a certain smell or feeling reminds me of my time in Uganda. Just the other day I was walking to school down a dirt road and it had just rained a ton the night before so it was super muddy. By the time I arrived at the school my shoes were caked with mud, much like my shoes would always be after walking from my house in Lugala to the bus stop to head into Kampala. My dad sent me an article about Uganda this morning and on getting my daily news fix, I found another article in the New York Times.

Some of the latest news from Uganda concerns the recent denial of visas to a Ugandan little league team hoping to compete in the Little League World Series in the States. Apparently some of the kids lied about their ages. Article from ESPN here.

And also from the New York Times, an article that talks about lacking resources in hospitals. This is definitely something I experienced while at Mulago in Kampala. It is just sad when simple medical tools that save lives aren't available even in the best government-run hospital in the country. Moreover, people come to these hospitals expecting to be helped, but that is often not the case. Here's the article for this story. Despite how messed up the American medical system is, with the corrupt health insurance industry and all, at least we receive the care we need (most of the time).

I'll write more about the past week perhaps tomorrow. It's been a busy past few weeks but it's been a productive time. Hope all is well!


No comments:

Post a Comment